Friday, June 25, 2010

Maiden Overkill

I make no excuses. I have been on an Iron Maiden binge for the last week. They have been My Perfect Band of the Day for six days now with no end in sight.

It's the classics that are grabbing me. Wednesday it was the epic Rime of the Ancient Mariner. While not the most recognizable or 'popular' Maiden song, Rime may very well be their best and most representative song. It's a long one though with a fairly useless middle section dedicated to bass arpeggios and duel guitar noodleing. But they come back so strong, with the bass playing an octave above the rhythm guitar. This is a nice trick. Is this a Maiden trick? --They are champions of repeating the rhythm- they force you to memorize it and chant it during your workday! Hell, Thursday I 'da da dadadad' The Trooper from 4:30 until after midnight; I just couldn't stop.

Today it was me and my 7-year-old connecting to, 'Can I Play with Madness' while watching Flight 666 on the T.V.He just freakin loves that song--jumps up on the coffee table with his drumsticks in hand, makes a tough guy face and punches the sticks into the air as he screams, "CAN I PLAY WITH MAGNETS". It's a perfect song at a perfect moment.

The world need a s FEW more bands like Iron Maiden. Bands that can pump out great rhythms and melodies with a few tricks up their sleeves and not worry about with the world will say. After all these years. Iron Maiden is an original.

Very Sleepy; More to come soon:

DK

No comments:

Post a Comment